Do you like selecting little things for your side table or deciding the wall color, furniture, and curtains for your home? Interior designing as a profession is your call. Interior designing as a full time profession is gaining a lot of popularity these days because one not only enjoys his work but also gets paid for it. Salaries offered to Interior designers are very high. Interior Designing job requires a lot of skill, creativity, and interest. Interior Designers not merely decorate someone’s house, rather they project the personality and taste of the client in their interior décor. Interior Designers of today are multifaceted as they are well versed with designing, colors, and other aspects of home décor. There are broadly two types of Interior Designers: Residential Interior Designers and Commercial Interior Designers.
What Interior Designers Do?
Many people have wrong notions about Interior designing profession. It is about not only picking colors or selecting curtains and other fabric, but there is a lot more to it. Interior Designing requires a lot of professional knowledge about set –up, vastu of the house, texture of pain, quality of fabric, accurate calculation etc. Here is a quick overview that what Interior Designers do:
- Interior Designer’s foremost job is to learn about the taste and preference of the client.
- The next step is visually planning the design accordingly that also fits in the budget of the client.
- After that, proper sketching is done to decide the décor of each & every space in the house.
- Then all the required material is purchased to create and furnish all the spaces.
- All the material is then placed according to the design to make every corner of the house look beautiful.
- Apart from décor and lighting, they also pay attention to the building codes, safety issues and other technical aspects.
- Interior Designers not only decorate houses, but they also design the interiors of the offices, boutiques, malls, film sets, fashion studios etc.Education And Qualification Required
There are many institutes and universities in India that offer degree and diploma courses in Interior Designing. If you do not want to go for three-year degree course, you can opt for one-year diploma course or short-term course for a few months. Along with the theoretical knowledge, practical experience is also very important. Before starting on your own, you can work under some renowned interior designer for a few months or years to get on-field experience. You can also voluntarily take up home décor projects of your relatives and friends. To get good work in this field, preparing a portfolio of your work is must. Take pictures of all the projects that you have done and paste them in a file.